Pages

Monday, February 23, 2015

moving through life with no sugar.

My Meg is 10 just about to turn 11 and she has endured a radical change in her diet. Why? Diagnosed with Crohn's. Before this happened she was a finicky eater, barely finishing her dinner and not a tryer of new foods. It was frustrating to say the least. My husband is a finicky eater and he told me many times that he survived on cereal growing up. So sometimes I would just serve her cereal for dinner. 

Fast forward to the now. She eats a solid 3 meals a day with 3 healthy snacks in between. It is unreal how much food she is eating. I am truly amazed at the amount of new things she has tried and surprised at some of the things she has eaten just because she knows its good for her.  How do you break your sugar habit for your kids? We went cold turkey because I felt we had to, based on the research I did. I only want her to eat healing foods to make the inflammation go down in her stomach. This means no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no grains. I will say this is very time consuming and I have had to put my art business on the back burner for a bit, but it is so worth it when you see your child thriving and putting on weight!  I recommend if you are planning to kick the sugar habit to set aside an entire weekend to bake and cook.  Our favorite place to find recipes are in the links…Book mark them and scour them for yummy recipes. I will post more good ones as we find and eat them.  Also my very favorite place to find very useful information on why you should kick the gluten and the sugar is pinterest. Follow my healing foods board or smoothie board to see what I am talking about. I also think it is important to involve your kids on why you are eliminating things from their diet and have them get in the kitchen. Meg has loved baking and now says she is going to be a chef when she grows up!! 


So what in the world do we eat? I am keeping a food journal so we can keep track. Here is an example:

breakfast-
4 coconut flour crepes with homemade blueberry sauce( I make this by simmering on the stove with some water and honey)
3 scrambled eggs 
6 slices of Havarti cheese
2 cups of almond milk

snack- 
cup of cashews, slice of homemade banana bread.

lunch- 
homemade cheese pizza bread with side of guacamole to dip it in.
apple slices
1 cup of almond milk

snack- 
bowl of yogurt with strawberries cut up

dinner- 
pork chop with cup of applesauce
6 asparagus
salad 
1 cup of orange juice

snack-
vanilla cupcake
handful of cashews
1 cup of almond milk


She is not complaining about this diet and if we get a sweet tooth( cause I am following the exact same diet) we will whip something up…Last night we made coconut pudding! We ate the entire pan.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS